Wednesday, December 14, 2011

EDLD 5363 Week 5 Web Conference Reflection

I have learned more in this past five weeks  through this multimedia class than I ever thought was possible.   The collaborative effort of my group was outstanding.  We were able to “go with it” as  Randy Nelson said in the video we watched this week.  The class was created with a scaffolding approach to learning.  Each week laid the foundation for the upcoming weeks.  Dr. Abernathy provided us with the global look at the entire course from the beginning.  She encouraged us to not fret over the group project but to “go with it” and each week would see how we would be acquiring the necessary skills to complete the course.  Several times throughout the course we had glitches in the EPIC course instructions.  Not to worry, we were told to complete the assignment and everyone would receive credit.  After the week of Thanksgiving, I was a little disappointed that I would not receive feedback and a specific grade for my pod cast.  I truly wanted to know how I did  and if I created the product that was requested.  I learned how important it is to provide timely feedback to students.  I also learned that when we set out on a project, we should not change it in midstream.  Every time this would happen during this course, I would get a little frustrated.  I would have to tell my self, “go with it”. 

The group project was one that I was hesitant to tackle.  As soon as we were informed of having a partner assignment and then a group assignment, I reached out to one of my classmates that I had been communicating and collaborating with this semester.  Since Lauren was in Connecticut, I was not sure how we would be able to work as a team or a group.  Next we added two other partners, Laura and Allison,  from east Texas.  The four of us truly changed my mind about distant collaborative projects.  If we were able to collaborate on this project, how much easier will it be to collaborate on a project within the same room.  Personally, I think we created a stellar PSA and cannot wait to share it with everyone. 

As soon as we began the third week, one of our members took the lead and initiated the conversation of the project.  We all agreed that our topic should be technology related since we were all in the EdTech Masters program.  With that said, Lauren generated and the idea of cyber bullying.  We all agreed and Lauren took the lead by writing the script and the scene schedule.  Each of us claimed a task and began the process.  Everyone was professional and thorough with their assignments.   All of us were eager to assist each other and to volunteer for tasks as they appeared. 

Dr. Abernathy went above and beyond her responsibilities as a professor.  She added additional web conferences, provided us with her personal email and cell phone numbers.   During the web conferences, she allowed each of us to ask questions about the assignments and about software issues.  She encouraged us to answer other student’s questions if we knew the answers because we were all learning.  I was glad that she encouraged us to use the free software that is available and she shared how she goes for the free software whenever it is possible.  She allowed us to modify the assignment and use other software we found during our research if we wanted to.   

This class taught me that I can personally learn new multimedia editing software if I take my time, put forth the effort and ask questions or watch the tutorials when provided.  I also learned that a collaborative process is similar to improve according to Randy Nelson.  You must accept every offer and go with it or it becomes a dead end.  Our PSA on cyber bullying is an example of how four people in four different locations in the United States can collaboratively create an exceptional product.  I am proud to have been in a group with Lauren, Laura, and Allison.

No comments:

Post a Comment