Friday, June 3, 2011

Where's the Value in Assessing Educator's Technology Leadership Knowledge

The last couple of weeks I have had the opportunity to take several assessments in regards to my technology leadership knowledge and my school's technology plan. At first I thought they were taking way too long and that they would not report a true assessment of my strengths and weaknesses.

Was I wrong? Yes! After taking the assessments and getting the results, I was able to see where my weaknesses are and how to achieve mastery in the available courses. I do agree that assessing one's technology skills will facilitate a school districts ability to differentiate their technology training. Just as we have huge disparities in our student's technology aptitude, our teachers have even greater disparity. The only way we can address what every student and teacher needs individually, is to use the technology skill assessments.

Among the things that were assessed, was "Technology Learning Style". In the classroom, I became a Master Teacher in Learning Styles from Dunn & Dunn Learning Styles Institute. Naturally, I was interested in the difference and similarities to learning styles. So often, I have observed the "one-size fits all" teaching style that falls short in meeting the needs of all learners. The technology learning style for me revealed exactly the type of learner I am. I excel with hands on learning, the ability to jump in and get started, with the security of a place to ask questions or find answers to my questions. I never did like reading the instructions for a pattern and I feel I am the same way when it comes to learning techonology.

If schools would use the data from the technology learning styles to facilitate their classes, students would become self-reliant, energized, and highly-motivated learners!

No comments:

Post a Comment